Please activate JavaScript!
Please install Adobe Flash Player, click here for download


104 O/S Memoirs, Parishes of County Londonderry III, vol. 11, Parish of Aghanloo, C. W. Ligar, J. Stokes, 15 May 1835. (p. 26) ‘A horse nail is put into the horn of the cow to prevent an ill-eye or witching. A petrified urchin shell (called an elfstone) is suspended over the cow house door to prevent the cattle from injury by elf shooting. A gentleman who served with his majesty’s service as an officer in the army resided in this parish, was suspected and believed by the absurd inhabitants of Aghanloo to have what is called an evil eye (that is, a covetous disposition) so that whatever cattle looked upon if he went out fishing in the morning, they were seized with a disease and died. This misfortune, as it was thought, was known to himself. Information obtained from Matthew Irwin.’ O/S Memoirs, Parishes of County Londonderry XI, vol.31, Parish of Ballynascreen. J. Stokes, 1836. (p.15) ‘Of the same stamp as the above is a legend current among them about a pesht or monster who, it seems, played the same tricks as the great serpent of Laignapieste. A puppy was once found in the wood of Doon by one of the parishioners, who brought him home. To his astonishment it grew up to be a pesht and forthwith began to devour all the cattle in the country. The alarm produced by this was so great that a reward was offered by the rulers, of all the country that could be seen at one view, to whoever would kill it. He was accordingly killed, letting fall in the chase sundry parts of his bowels in different parts of the country still pointed out. After all the killer was cheated in his bargain. They brought him up to Spellhoagh Gap, a place more than a thousand feet above the sea, but from which nothing can be seen but a barren boggy ravine. This specimen is a sufficient sample of the remaining legends of the parish.’ Omens [Back to Contents] O/S Memoirs, Parishes of County Antrim III, vol. 10, Parish of Kilwaughter, Lieutenant R. Boteler, Aug. 1833. (pp. 117-8) ‘There is a holy well on the farm of John Beggs, Lowtown, a few perches left of the road leading from the castle to the park. The superstitious of all denominations still practise the system of tying rags on a thorn-bush over the well at May Eve, and also to cast pins into the well. Rags may still be seen tied in the bushes overhanging the well, and pins at the bottom of it. It is a small spring well of a triangular shape. There is a tradition connected

Pages Overview